Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Went to the doctor last week…

I’m a Type I diabetic. I’ve had it since 2002 (initially suspected in the spring, diagnosed definitively in the ER in November). When I first started on insulin, they had me on regular insulin and lantus. In 2010, my the dietician and my doctor suggested that I switch to humalog and lantus. I was taking both via vial and syringe. Last week, when I was at the doctor’s office, and my prescriptions were updated, I was moved from the vial to the pen. THis was something my dietician and were talking about during my last visit with her. I’ve been using the pen for a week now. It’s much easier to dial in the dose rather than fill a syringe. And it’s quicker to take a shot at work. At least with the pen, I don’t have to be concerned as much about being called for ‘shooting up’ than with a syringe and vial.

Though I should also add, that regular insulin (that is type ‘R’) is available OTC. When I got out of the hospital, and the doctor wrote my first insulin prescription and I took it to the pharmacy, the pharmacist at Wally World gave the form back to me, and told me it was OTC (Lantus and Humalog are very much prescription only).

Insulin is good.

No comments: