Monday, June 27, 2016

What a crazy weekend…..

When I’m at work, I’m at work. Boredom is never a concern. Owing to the commute involved, I can be out of the house for 16 hours or so. I’ve also notice that I’m going to bed a lot earlier that I used to. When I was a teenager, and even when I closed at Mrs Fields, I could go to bed at two, and get up at noon, then shower and be out the door to work. Now I’m working morning/day shifts at full-time, which means I attempt to go to bed by 8 or 9. Sometimes I’m retiring by 7:30. Which is probably why it was decided that I should get mom’s AC, since I have a western facing window, and it sucks trying to sleep during the heat of the day. But I digress….

This weekend was busy. We are still trying to get Mom’s apartment cleaned out (she passed on right after the rent for June was paid, so we’re taking the entire month to do it. Most of the stuff is out of there by now. Karen, by younger sister, has her secretary desk. Which, btw, was in my room growing up (a little background: I had two brothers, and we usually shared the same room. Oldest sister moved out, then moved back in, and it was decided that I would take over the den as my room, as my sisters needed the larger bedroom, and 3 brothers in the smallest room in the house is just plain wrong. Nowadays, I still share an apartment with my little brother, and we’ve made sure we both have our own rooms.) A lot of the items are going to our older sister’s house, where it will be arranged for sale, or for distribution (making sure the keepsakes stay in the family).

Mom has been cremated already. Plans for celebration/memorial are still pending. It’s just one day at a time. Times like this when I feel the most grateful for being so busy at work. At least I have something to concentrate on. We have a couple of more trips to make, and then it will be done….

No comments: