Sunday, August 21, 2016

An experiment tonight….

So I after finishing my system rebuild last week, I did a full back up today. And after the backup, I turned off my backup drive (to save my data from any of my misadventures on the Internet). So, after all the maintenance, I decided to give Linux another try. I got this computer in November of 2014, and I’ve never run Linux on it. First order of business was to resize my hard drive, which was fairly easy to do. I didn’t even have to reboot my computer (apparently since Win7 the ability to expand/shrink your windows partition has been a part of disk management). Then I downloaded OpenSuSE. But before I burned it to DVD/usb flash drive, I decided to try a live distribution to make sure my system would work under Linux. So I downloaded Knoppix, and burned it to DVD. I was able to boot off the DVD, but that was about it. GUI wouldn’t load. So I booted back into Windows, resized my partition, and learned my lesson.

I may try it again in the future, but for now, it’ll just be with VMWare…

No comments: