Monday, April 09, 2012

Not for the faint of heart

(I'm on my phone, I'll post the web-links later). I have an HTC EVO 3D. I love it. The Sprint 4G may be a bit spotty in some places, but it does the job with ease. My previous phone, the Sensation, I unlocked it with the Revolutionary tool. Then I installed recovery and went from there. That wasn't the case with my EVO. When I got it, it had hboot 1.5, which was locked. To unlock it, I had to use the HTC Dev tool. Which unlocked it so I could flash a recovery and install a custom ROM. But because the bootloader was locked, I couldn't flash a new kernel from recovery (most if the custom ROMs use different kernels), so I have to pull out the laptop and use the fastboot command to do it.

But there was an xda developer who wag just as annoyed by it as I was. And he figured out how to revert the hboot from 1.5 to 1.4. It's not for the faint of heart. I'd you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up with a $600 battery charger/paperweight. Long story short, I had to relock my phone, reflash a stock ROM, and then intentionally brick it. Then I had to boot into Linux, and run a special downgrade tool. Then I had to flash another stock ROM, and then run the Revolutionary tool.

But it's worth it. I'm now s-off on hboot 1.4 running my custom ROM.

No comments: