Monday, September 11, 2006

Five years ago....

Five years ago today (yes, I know it's bit on the late side for this, but I had to work today), I got out of bed, flipped the TV on only to see the news about the first tower being hit. A few minutes later, I saw the second plane hit. I had to leave to go to work (I worked in downtown Seattle at the time, and I took a while to get there by bus). While on the bus to Seattle, I heard of the plane hitting the Pentagon (and I called my brother to put the news on), and of the collapse of the two towers. When I got to work, I received confirmation that the towers had collapsed (at work, I really don't have access the news media, and I had to rely on hearsay and the telephone). My boss showed up, and about an hour after our arrival, building management announced that the Westlake Center (I was in retail at the time) was closing for the day. After going home, I finally saw what had happened in New York, and the reality had dawned on me. Terrorists had struck America. America is a free country, and because of that, there are those who want to see America destroyed. Unfortunately (for them), it will take a lot more than four jetliners to do it.

I once heard it said that wars over religion were basically wars over who has the better invisible friend.

No comments: