Saturday, April 26, 2014

So, what has happened this week?

Where do I start? Let’s just pick something and go with it:

  • I’ve been looking at CenturyLink lately. Too many time ‘page cannot be displayed’ errors with Comcast. And I have serious issues with the proposed merger with Time/Warner. Less Competition = Higher Prices for less service. There is a story here in and of itself. When I put my current address in to CenturyLlink, I was told that I could get 3 mb speed. But I put the address that the apartment used to have, it came back with 40 meg speed (even faster than the cable). After talking with the local retail store manager, I decided to take a chance. And I’m now enjoying a speed that’s at least twice as fast as I was getting before. Hey Comcast, guess who’s dropping your not-so-high speed internet come Monday?
  • If you use Mozilla Thunderbird, and have a hotmail address, hotmail now supports IMAP. Which is good, as when I check my mail on my phone/tablet, and I read a message, it will be marked as read on my computer as well. And CenturyLink has IMAP on their email (though it is not officially supported).
  • For some reason, the live chat link on the Adobe Customer Care website is listed in the MVPS.org HOSTS file. I suspect it is there for a reason. They are definitely a special kind of stupid…
  • I just had to retire my Saitek Cyborg 3D USB. For the past couple of years, one of the buttons hasn’t worked, but I held on to it because I’m left-handed, and this is one of the few joysticks that can be set up for left-handed use. It’s being replaced by a Thustmaster – T – 16000M (that’s what they called it) that I got from Worst Buy. It’s a little bit on the expensive side, but I got it because it has a hat switch, and most importantly, it can be configured for left-handed use…

No comments: