Tuesday, June 02, 2015

On Virtual Reality

I mainly use Windows 7 on my tower. It’s my favorite daily driver. Yet there are legacy programs that I can’t get to work with it, That’s were VMware player comes in handy. It’s just like have another computer. And it’ll even let me use 3d graphics in Windows XP and Windows ME (actually most of my legacy software is installed in the WinXP virtual machine. The WinME machine is mainly just for screwing around). Long story short, VMware player is great for Windows Guests. But my concern with other OSes (think Linux) was that I could never get VMware tools to install in the guest. I’m going to give  Oracle VM Virtualbox a try right now. I’m currently installing OpenSUSE. If it works, I may try other Linux distros.

If it doesn’t work, at least I didn’t nuke my hard drive over it….

Edit: I was finally able to get Vmware Tools installed in my OpenSUSE guest that I installed in Vmware player. Another OS to pay a around with without having to nuke my drive. Though come to think of it, I may have to do it soon. I can't get FS 2004 to load anymore...

No comments: