Monday, August 01, 2016

It’s not all about the prices…

There was a much ado a while back about Starbucks raising their prices. They also publicly announced that their emplyees were also getting significant raises. Generally, I really don’t care for the former, but since it was for the latter, I’m ok with that. I’ve been on the front line before, and I know how difficult it is to make ends meet. But, that is not why I will never shop at Starbucks again. Here’s what happened:

A week and a half ago, I was at Starbucks and I ordered a venti sugar free cinnamon dulce iced latte. A mouthful to say, but easy to make (just a large iced latte with the requesite puumps of flavor in it). I paid for it (at the new, higher price). And I went to the pick up area for it and waited. And waited. And waited. Between the walk-in and the drive through, there was only one barista making drinks. She was new, and the only help she had was another co-worker who only told her what she was doing wrong, and making her throw away most of the drinks she was making and start over. Needless to say I ended up leaving to go catch my bus. Without my drink! Of course, I was teed off, and when I got home, I looked up the Starbucks web page, and I lodged a complaint.

And I got a canned response with an offer of a gift card which should arrive in 10-14 business days. Loosely translated, instead of doing their fucking jobs in the first place, I’m being told to settle for a low-ball offer that could take upto three weeks to arrive. So I declined it. It is my experience that when companies make this kind of offer, it never arrives. So, as far as I’m concerned Starbucks took my money, and never intended to render the goods and services for which I paid for. No big deal. I’ll just never shop at Starbucks again.

It’s not the high prices that will drive your customers away. It’s your poor customer service. BTW, Starbucks this isn’t the first time I’ve had to leave without my order. Don’t bother with your pretend, hollow non-apologies. Don’t bother with your insulting low-ball offers that will never arrive. Don’t bother with your empy promises. Just fuck off and go back to ingoring your customers.

No comments: