Wednesday, August 21, 2019

For the first time since 2006…

I used to assemble scale models for a hobby. Before I got my computer, and my first internet connection, it was what killed my time. My two best friends owned the hobby shop in the South Hill Mall. I mainly did 1/72nd scale kits, mainly military airplanes, and Star Trek on occasion. But I bought my computer, and going on the internet started using up more of my time, and I eventually stopped (the last model kit that I assembled and painted I actually never really finished). When I moved to Parkland, all of my paints, thinners, and my assembly tools were put away.

A couple of years ago, my sister gave me a Bandai 1/72nd scale X-Wing from the Star Wars Franchise. I was all molded in color, and no cement was required. There are a couple of other kits from the same series that are now works in progress.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was on eBay, and I found a 1/72nd scale Danube Class runabout from Deep Space 9. And I pulled the trigger. Kit arrived quickly, and I new I still had my sprue cutters and cement. And it came time to paint. Problem is, most of my paints are over 20 years old now. I did find a couple of paints that were still salvageable (and no, I’m not going to order new paint quite yet, just for a one-off impulse buy I made on my phone while on the bus).

Long story short, for the first time since 2006, I assembled a scale model. With paint and cement…

No comments: