Wednesday, June 05, 2024

An attempted step up…

So, an important part of my computer setup has been my virtual machines. I’ve had two (one Windows ME and Windows XP) since 2013. Mainly for my really old programs (mainly games) that wouldn’t run even on Windows 7. Early on , I discovered VMWare Player. It supports 3D graphics, USB and drag-and-drop, even for Windows ME. So it was perfecto for installing games that I couldn’t really let go of, but never really played.

Fast forward through the years, and I decided to ‘refresh’ my virtual machines. A lot of the games that were on my VM’s I discovered how to get them to run on Windows 10/11 (mainly downloaded them from GOG and/or Steam. So, I tried Oracle Virtualbox. Got both OS’s to install, and I even got WinME fully setup. But the straw that broke the camel’s back was the lack of 3D acceleration in WinXP. So, deleted the new VM’s and went back to VMWare Workstation Pro, now free for personal use.

Of course the real bright side to all this was that I was too busy to fuck up my entire system while I was trying this….

No comments: