Friday, March 10, 2006

Michael Jackson is in trouble again.

The state has shut down Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch.  Whether or not he molested children is irrelevant (he did get a trial by jury, and was found ‘not guilty’), but still, when you have people on your payroll, you’re required to pay them (that’s the law, not my opinion).  Having had issues last year with one of my employers not wanting to pay my wages, I have to agree with the state on this one.

BTW, the quickest way to get your employer to make good on an NSF paycheck is to leave a message on your district manager’s voice mail not to contact you, your attorney (or the state labor department) will contact him.  He came by my shop with cash the next day.  IANAL and YMMV, but he couldn’t fire me at the time for two reasons:

  1. Most states (and the Federal Government, if memory serves me correctly) consider that to be retaliation, and if you don’t sue, they will.

  2. Since they were making no effort to make good on it, had I been terminated for it, I would have also been able to press charges.

  3. The two previous one were really moot, as they had already sold the location I was working at anyway, and I could basically tell him to go fornicate with himself.

No comments: