Saturday, July 29, 2006

What troubled webs we weave with a simple hardware upgrade...

[Sorry if this looks different form my normal posts, but the Blogger for Microsoft Word plugin is having issues tonight].

Ok, this all started out as an attempt at a hardware upgrade. I wasn’t going for all the latest bling-bling. Just a better video card. Then I realized that I had to get a beefier power supply for it, as I was getting crashes and reboots while playing Flight Simulator 2004. So I put a 300w power supply in. Then I realized the new power supply doesn’t have a fan. Heat was building up, and I was getting crashes and reboots while playing Combat Flight Simulator 3. Solution:

  1. With 300w power supply and Radeon 9250 installed (actually the easy part), take side off the computer tower.
  2. Take nightstand fan off of nightstand.
  3. Set fan next to tower, pointing at the processor and video card.
  4. Turn fan on, and set to maximum.
  5. Finally enjoy your games with better graphics and no more reboots.

I know it doesn’t look pretty. But it works. Or better yet, the next time I go by a CompUSA store, I’m just going to run away screaming, “Get Thee Hence, Satan!”

The lesson I’ve learned for this is that there are three ways to part with your money:

  1. Gambling is the quickest.
  2. Women are the most fun (generally).
  3. And IT is the surest,

Ramen.

No comments: