Monday, September 15, 2014

So I wanted to do stuff today….

Today was my day off. I thought I’d be able to get away with upgrading the software on my phone today. Since last February, I’ve been running the Venom One ROM. The version I’ve been using is 5.8, and the current version is 7.0.1. So needless to say, it was time to download it. There was a problem, however. It’s called CenturyLink. I thought I was doing the right thing in switching to CenturyLink. But I now realize I was better off staying with Comcast. I have an issue with CenturyLink. And it’s a big one.

It doesn’t matter what browser or Operating System I use, about every 3 to five websites I browse, I get a ‘cannot connect’ error. I can be using Firefox or Google Chrome, in either windows or Linux, and I’ll have problems. It appears to be a DNS error. Unfortunately, I can’t change the DNS settings on my modem/router. So I’m stuck with the unresponsive boxes of crap that CenturyLink has foisted upon me. And then there are the times the wi-fi goes down completely, and I have to hard reset my modem to get it to work again.

I’ve tried calling CenturyLink support. Let’s see: on hold for an extended period of time. Then I got someone who was more interesting in reading hos script than he was in listening to my problem. He didn’t even speak English, let alone have a fundamental grasp of computers and the internet. But I jumped through the hoops in good faith. All he did was change the channel the wi-fi radio was on. And two days later, I still had the same problem. Back to CenturyLink, and they want to schedule a visit. Problem: they want a 4-hour window. I don’t have a 4 hour window on my day off. I have shit to do (I have a 3-4 hour commute each way to work) on my day off. Waiting around for an incompetent tech for a company more known for fucking up customers is not something I want to do on my day off.

I guess it boils down to CenturyLink wanting to maximize revenue while minimizing actually delivery of services. I’m under contract, and even though I’m not receiving the services I’m paying for, they insist that I continue paying for the non-delivery of internet access.

I wanted to upgrade my phone’s software today. I downloaded it 4 different times. And it was corrupted every time.

Thanks a lot, CenturyLink. You may now resume ignoring your customers.

No comments: