Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A very much lighter wallet…

So, about a month ago, I was riding home from work, and as I was riding right by JBLM, I thought I felt something caught in my bike chain (like a tree branch). So I stopped, got the flashlight out, and noticed that there was nothing wrong with the chain. But when I turned the crank, there was one spot where it stuck. I was able to ride the bike home, albeit very carefully that night. I then noticed for the next couple of weeks or so, my bike was making various clicking sounds in the vicinity of the bottom bracket. Never a good occaision, but I couldn’t do anything about it. Then I couple of weeks ago, the bottom bracket stopping making noises, but it had become loose. Not loose to the point that it was unrideable, but it was loose and getting looser.

Last week, my tax refund arrived. And so yesterday I took my bike to Bonney Lake Bicycle of Sumner in Puyallup (I think that’s what it’s called), and they said what I had feared the most: that I needed to replace my bottom bracket. But the price that was quoted was what I could afford. And I also mentioned an issue I was have with my rear derailer, and was offered a tune-up. Initially I declined it, but then I decided to go for it, since it was going to be a professional job.

Today, I picked up my bike, and my wallet is now $157.00 lighter. Got off the bus a couple of miles short, and rode it home. No clicks, no looseness, and for the first time ever, I can now use all 24 speeds…

No comments: