Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A new trick I picked up last week….

Last week, I decided to go with Windows 8.1 over Windows 7. Don’t ask me why, but at least I had a recent back-up available. So I pulled out the restore DVD set, and wiped the tower. Then I upgraded immediately to Windows 8.1 Pro. Then I installed all the updates and patches and debloated (this is an OEM system restore rather than just an OS installer). Once I had done all this, I then installed all the apps from the Windows Store. And there are a few apps that are only available on Windows 8.1 and not Windows 10. Anyway, I had this all done, and then I came to my senses and realized what I had done. But I was too lazy to just up and wipe my entire system again. So I put the Windows 10 USB drive in and did an upgrade install (something that I usually avoid like the plague). The upgrade install went without a hitch. And afterwards, I realized that I still had those Windows 8.1 Store apps that I normally wouldn’t have in Windows 10, and they still worked.

Sometimes, you can get away with just upgrading…

No comments: