Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Purge, Desktop Edition….

Just did a specialized purge of sorts. Many years ago, when I went to do a system backup, it was to CD (back when I got my first Gateway, which had a CD burner). Then about 6 years into owning it, I got a DVD burner, and started backing up to DVDs. The last back-up that I burned to DVD was 10 years ago, and it was 10 DVD’s long. By then, the size of my back-ups got so big that just started using my second hard drive (in fact, at the time I had burned my last backup set I was already using my second drive). So what happened to all those back-ups I burned? Well, I was looking for something on my cumputer desk, and I realized I had two extremely overloaded DVD spindles of old DVD I burned. So I just went through them. Most of them I threw out as obsolete (like driver cd’s for components that I’ve long since thrown out, like my old Motorola surfboard cable modem, or my really old d-link router). Then there was my old TV tuner that got tossed when I cleaned out my junk drawer. And I don’t think I need my Blackberry CD anymore. Anyway, from over 2 overflowing spindles to less than one. I’m sure I threw out a few blank ones, too, but if it was dirty, I probably wouldn’t be able to read it, let alone write it.

And while I’m going through my old CD’s and DVD’s, I’ve also thrown out a packet of equal (I use Splenda, or at least the house brand equivalent from Wally World. And a bunch of McDonalds salsa packets (yes, I like their breakfast burritos…).

I’ve got a long way to go, and since I have nights off I really can’t do that much (out of respect to my downstairs neighbors who keep a normal circadian rhythm). But there’s a spot on my desk that’s clean again. It’s an obscure, out of the way location, but it’snow clean…

No comments: