Thursday, November 26, 2020

On Gratitude, 2020 Edition….

It’s Thanksgiving. The day where we celebrate gratitude by shoving seasoned bread up a Turkey’s ass. Normally my brother and I would go to one of sisters’ house. But due to Covid-19 we’re staying home. Sure, we can get together for Thanksgiving dinner. And then spend Christmas in the ICU. Or gather for a funeral in the New Year. Even with masks and social distancing, it’s just not worth the risk.

Having said that, there are many things to still be grateful for. Here are some of them in no particular order:

  • My job. Yes, work sucks. But I’m classified as an essential employee, so I still go to work. Boss can be a dick, but they do recognize my contribution. And there’s the paid sick leave (which surprisingly is even more generous than what Home Depot had).
  • Family. I can’t really see them this year, for the obvious reason, but they’re still there.
  • My co-workers. From the one co-worker who is now named Profanity. To the one I’ve called older than dirt. And the one I’ve reminded that the Patriots sucked.
  • Health. I’m awake. I’m vertical. And I put pants on this morning.
  • Rugby Union. Go Seawolves.
  • T20 Cricket. Hooray West Indies.
  • The diversity of political opinions in America. And the right to express them. I may find your opinion to be repugnant and completely wrong, but if I suppressed your right to say it, I would be no better. I my shun you for it, but you’re free to say it.
  • Free elections. Cheetos-Face will probably be ranting and raving until the cows come home about the election being rigged and stolen. But he’s still out of a job come January 20.

There are many things to be grateful for. Gratitude is something that should be year-round. And our pilgrim fathers originally celebrated it with Chinese carryout and watching football….

No comments: