Wednesday, October 12, 2022

And now for the real farewell to my tower….

A couple of posts ago, I titled a post A farewell to my tower, but when I was writing it I got sidetracked writing about something else, and ultimately didn’t even touch the original subject. So what. Big deal.

Anyway, last week, I ordered a DVD (yes DVD and not Blu-Ray) set of the 3 Stooges. 17 DVDs with 25 years of their shorts. All from Spamazon. This is a story in and of itself. I had tried to order it a couple of weeks ago, but it was lost in shipment (which is odd since Spamazon uses their own delivery system). But they were good sports and refunded the order when I cancelled it. So I ordered it again. And it arrived Sunday. So Monday night (my night off), when I was redownloading my EA games library due to a botched migration from the origin app to the EA app, I thought I’d watch some shorts. For those of you keeping score, I disconnected my Blu-Ray player in favor of my old HP Pavilion 500-314. I had put a Blu-Ray drive in my tower previously, so I still had Blu-Ray capability. I went with this for streaming reasons. My ‘smart’ TV and Blu-Ray had basic streaming (ie Netflix, Hulu, Spamazon Prime…). But they didn’t have the new streaming services (like Discovery+, ESPN+, and what not). So I used my second tower and just streamed it through Chrome. And things were good. Logitech even makes a good wireless keyboard specifically for home theater PC’s. Problem was that this was still a full-sized tower, and the only place I could place it was behind the TV, and it was a pain to get up to turn it on, and/or change discs. And the end-of-life is coming for Windows 8.1 (it’s running currently 8.1 Pro with Media Center). Since I’ve set this up, things have changed. I can now stream all of my streaming services through my cable box. And it’s easier to reach for my cable remote than it is to get up, head behind the TV, physically turn on the tower, and then wait for it to boot up, open chrome, and then start streaming.

So, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the tower, and plugged the Blu-Ray player back in. And more importantly, I found the Blu-Ray remote. It is no longer a ‘smart’ Blu-Ray player (most of the apps on it are old, and have been pulled). But it still plays discs, and I still have a library.

So, I can get a couple of nyuks, one short at a time….

No comments: