Thursday, January 11, 2024

Giving Mother Nature Her Respect….

So, it looks like we’re headed for some real winter. Cold temperatures. And snow. All the forecasts I see indicate that the snow will start today. Some have it this afternoon. Some have it overnight (use your Google-Fu if you want to see the forecast). My rule of thumb is that if I wake up and I see snow that wasn’t there when I went to bed, I’ll call out of work for safety reasons. Yes I live along a state highway that’s the first to get plowed and de-iced, but it does take time for the trucks to roll, and even the buses have trouble with icy conditions. And also, I remember about a year ago, when we had freezing rain overnight, and the roads were completely iced over (to the point that Pierce Transit didn’t run at all until  4 in the afternoon).

So with that in mind, I’ve already called out from work for tonight. I have enough protected pto to cover it, so it’s not going to be an attendance issue. If it does snow, there’ll be enough time to roll the plows before I have to go to work tomorrow night.

Hopefully, there’ll be no freezing rain. Though I always get concerned when I see rain and sub-freezing temperatures together….

No comments: