Wednesday, April 10, 2024

KPLZ jumps the shark….

I grew up in a military family. When we were stationed in Germany, the only english speaking radio/tv stations were run by the Army (via afrts/afn). So I had no choice in the music on the radio. It was all Army issue. The one plus about that was the really kick ass anime after school programming….

So we get stateside, Dad retired from the Army, and settled down, and then I got my first radio. At first the 2 stations I listened to were KUBE and KPLZ. Both were Top-40 format. There was also KNBQ, but soon that station was sold and it went to Oldies. So most of my first mix-tapes were recorded off of those two stations. KUBE eventually went to rap, and there were a couple of other stations that were here and there. Eventually KPLZ was sold and it became Star 101.5. Format eventually be came Adult Contemporary, but I still listened to it. Then I got a CD player. As my mix tapes that I recorded off the radio wore out, I started downloading my music. And I’ve had a CD Burner ever since my first computer (currently, I have two: a Blu-Ray, and a DVD, both burners). While this was all happening, Star101.5 was sold again, but the format remained the same. Then I moved to streaming. Specifically Spamazon Prime music. I no longer need to fumble for CDs, or worry about having to point an antenna in a specific direction.

Fast forward to April 1 this year. When KPLZ switch to country. So now they’re going to hire Ted McGinley as a DJ, since they’ve pretty much jumped the shark. BTW, KUBE is now KJR, and they’re now a sports format….

No comments: