Tuesday, August 06, 2024

I hate to admit this….

Comcast. Their customer service is usually a piss-poor disaster. It seems like every time I reach out for support, I either have to call an offshore call center, or get a high-pressure sales pitch for a service that I don’t need. And if I say no, I become persona non grata to them. Reach out to them on social media, and they don’t actually read your email. Go in person to the cable store, and they give you the wrong equipment, which means at least two tech visits, and multiple online chats (but I eventually got my cable box to work). And not even the Executive Email Carpet Bomb will work anymore. When I send an email, I expect an email in reply (there are some things that need to be done in writing, based on the principle of if it’s not in writing, it didn’t happen). Instead, I get phone calls. That go straight to voicemail.

So anyway, I’ve needed to replace my cable modem since January 2023 (apparently Comcast now recommends replacing it every three years so your equipment keeps up with your speed). And I needed to replace the cable boxes (every time I rebooted mine, I got an error code about a missing sd card and I was unable to pause and rewind live tv anymore). So this time I went to them on social media (twitter to be precise) and asked if I just bring the equipment in to swap out. And this is where I started to realize that hell can freeze over. They answered my question in the first reply without asking me stupid questions that I had already answered in the first paragraph of my message.

So the following Monday (if you’re keeping score at home, it was last week, not yesterday) we headed out to the Xfinity store, I dropped off my equipment, and got it replaced. Right at the door. I was told to activate the modem first and to use the Xfinity app on my phone. And it didn’t hurt that I got the right equipment the first time. So, in and out in 5 minutes….

Got home, and since all the cable runs already checked out (a result of all the multiple tech visits from the last time I tried this), got the cable modem activated. And then both TV boxes (even the one in my room, which was usually the problematic one). For some reason or another it took multiple chats with customer service and/or service calls to get everything working.

For once, equipment replacement with Comcast was not and exercise in frustration…..

No comments: