Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Some Nerd Talk with Thunderbird....

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email and calendar (and newsgruops if I ever go back to Usenet). When I first started with it you just needed your user name and password to sign into account (and before they had the isp server database, you also needed the servers' names)....

Noawadays, there's 2 factor authentication, Ave passkeys. Recently, I formatted my hard drive, so I had to download Thunderbird. Since I downloaded the most recent version, it recommended that I rebuild my user profile from scratch. So I did. I no longer needed the two extensions to use Google Calendar and Contacts since Thunderbird now supports them natively. Of course when I set my accounts up with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo, there was a lot of back and forth to my phone because of 2fa. I get it. Security is paramount.....

Then came my 2 Xfinity email account. Set up the first one, and it sent me the authentication code to the Xfinity app on my phone. No biggie. Then came my next address. Put in my username and password, Ave it kept saying it couldn't connect. Used my Google-Fu and it came with fire my second Xfinity account, I had to use the 'normal password' signin option.

I guess that when I was able to get all equipment replaced and set up without a problem a couple of weeks ago was the exception to the  Comcast/Xfinity experience. I guess it's just piss-poor service by default. 

No comments: