Thursday, May 01, 2008

A new way to manage tabs

In firefox, I have been using the tab mix plus extension to manage my tabbed browsing (an extension like this is essential when viewing sites like Fark).  Before, I was using the tabbrowser extension, but it was never updated for Firefox 2 when it was released, so I had to switch.  Today, I went to the tabbroswer extension web-site and a new version has been published.  Not only is TBE now compatible with FIrefox 2, but it looks like it'll work with 3 as well.  The main change in this release is that instead of one extension, it is now four different extensions: Informational Tab, Multiple Tab Handler, Source Viewer Tab, and Tree Style Tab.  It actually makes sense to have this split into four extensions, given all that TBE was trying to originally do, and the complications that sometimes resulted (even the TBE website itself recommended that you do not use it (it was, and still is, created only for the author's personal convenience).  I myself used it in the past, and I will use it now, since I like the features and the power it has, but if you're looking for a tab manager, go with tab mix plus first.  It won't cause you nearly as much grief if you're a simple user.  If you're a glutton for punishment, and you've done a recent full system back-up, go ahead and try it...

 

EDIT: This extension also works with Tab Mix Plus.....

No comments: