Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Yet another catch-up post……

Yes, I know it’s been awhile but sometimes, the Real Life intervenes, and I’m unable to post as often as I want to.  So let’s get started (in no particular order):

  • Christmas has come & gone.  There were two family events.  My extended family (aunts & uncles, cousins, Grandma Bryant, etc…. on Christmas Eve), and my siblings and parents were scheduled to have the gathering on the Sunday before Christmas. I made it to the former, but once again I missed the latter because of $day-job, I know it’s not all about the presents, but much plunder was achieved.  This year, I scored:
    1. 2 Target gift cards.  I also shop at Wally World but Target’s closer.  I gave a Target gift card as well (I figure if your gift recipient can’t find what they want at Target, then they don’t deserve it…)
    2. Some sugar-free life savers.
    3. A Subway gift card. 
    4. And a hooded sweatshirt from my boss.
    5. Batteries (I have all the gadgets I need already).
  • My roommate (aka my brother) collectively scored:
    1. A toaster (haven’t had toast in over a year…)
    2. A screwdriver set.
    3. But the Big Gift we got this year was a coffee maker.  Now I can OD on caffeine and have hallucinations of The Underpants Gnomes trying to take my shorts in the comfort of my own home.
  • I discovered quite accidentally that my new computer has a headphone jack.  Currently the sound output is split, one going to my computer speakers, and the other going to my stereo, which usually has my headphones plugged in.  BTW, my stereo is still louder than my sound card.  Go figure….
  • My new computer has a very recently manufactured motherboard.  And it still has a slot for a floppy drive.  Too bad the floppy drive from my old computer doesn’t want to fit with the drive screws.
  • The Detroit Lions are still that bad.  You actually have to deliberately try to go 0-17.  At least they’ll have a good draft choice next year.  Although I’d have to give my condolences to the poor college star who’s going to lose a very promising NFL career….
  • We’ve had some really bad weather this year.  First came some snow.  It stuck around.  Then came more snow.  And more snow.  My apartment is two blocks away from a major arterial which is the first to get plowed and sanded.  But, it’s kinda sorta a wee bit difficult to get there when there’s at least two inches of ice in the apartment parking lot.
  • After the snow and the cold came the rain.  Cold running water melts ice surprisingly fast…..
  • No matter how short handed you are & no matter how soon you need to hire somebody, never skip the job interview.  You’ll regret it.
  • When it comes to conversations in the workplace, there are a few subjects too avoid:
    • Politics. 
    • Religion (that whole separation of church and state thing also works great in the workplace).
    • How your co-workers can enhance their anatomy (you know you’re in for a rough ride when the new girl you hired tells you she wants to get implants.  On her first day on the job). 

Well, that’s it for now. 

No comments: