Tuesday, July 19, 2011

So Long, Borders

So, it is apparent that Borders is going to have to liquidate. One of my work sited was located near the Federal Way store, and I was on relatively speaking terms with the employees. So, when they initially filed for bankruptcy, and published that this store was initially going to stay open, I was happy (and a little bit relieved….). Then in April, they announced that the store was going to be liquidated. Two days before the store’s final day, one of the employees told me that the whole company will probably be liquidated by June. He was only a month late….

Who’s to say why the company ultimately failed? I have a couple of theories:

  • They failed to develop an e-reader. Spamazon has the kindle. Barnes & Noble has the Nook. And you can buy and download a whole shit-load of books onto one of them, far more than you could carry if you had to carry books….
  • The Internet. Why go to the bookstore when you can have it shipped to your door, after having ordered it without even bothering to put your pants on? Or, if you’re tech-savvy enough, you could even get it for free (though that may involve legally dubious means, exercise this at your own risk…).
  • And the reason why I never shopped at Borders: The Pierce County Library. I don’t think the Pierce County Library actually killed Borders per say, but because I live only three blocks from the Parkland/Spanaway branch of the Pierce County Library, I never really had the need to buy a book from Borders. They have an even better selection. The length of a loan is 3 weeks, but that’s more than enough to read a book, and it’s free. Oh, and they have e-books, too.

On the day they finally closed the Federal Way, I downloaded my first E-Book from the Pierce County Library to my phone. Border’s died because they didn’t adapt to the times. People just don’t go to the bookstore anymore. There used to be time when there were these things called music stores (at one time, the South Hill Mall in Puyallup had three different stores that carried only music). Now they’re all gone. People are now downloading music (iTunes, anyone?).

That’s the nature of business. And life in general. Adapt. Or die…

No comments: