Saturday, February 01, 2014

Render unto Caesar, 2013 edition

I just filed my taxes. Like I've always done. With my previous employer, my withholding was screwed up so I didn't get enough withheld. And I ended up paying for it every spring. But this year, I had stated a new job, and I had the withholding correctly set up. I'm getting a refund. Or if not a refund, then I expect the slate between me and the IRS to be wiped clean. You won't get into as much trouble if you file and don't pay (that's just being late) than if you don't file at all (that's tax evasion,  a crime. A serious one. As in that's what got Al Capone put away). Though I strongly encourage you to pay, or to set up an installment plan...

Edit: the IRS accepted my tax return that same day, and I just checked, and my refund has been approved. Albeit reduced as to a past due tax obligation. Which is fine with me. I'll admit that owed them money. But the slate is now wiped clean, and I have money coming back still. I'm a happy camper...

No comments: