Monday, March 20, 2017

Lesson Learned For The Third Time

Ok, installing Win8.1 on my tower again. Pull out my DVD restore set (that I made when I first got my computer), and let it run. Then afterwards, I put my separately purchased Win8.1 Pro key, and make that upgrade. No Problem. Then I go in and remove all the bloatware (basically anything McCafee, WildTangent, or anything else I don't recognize). And I took the wrong thing off, resulting in an unbootable tower. Repeat same procedure again, and get the same result. This third time, I've realize which piece of bloatware is the one that I need to leave alone. I'm not going to concern myself with it calling home, as the first thing I do beofre anything else is to protect my system with the HOSTS file at MVPS.org. But so far no more problems. In fact the new WiFi card I put in last month works natively in Windows 8.1. A definite plus...

No comments: