Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Unhorsed…

That’s what I feel like. Sunday night, I got off work and rode the bike to the transit center to take the bus. Since the ride to the transit center is mostly uphill, I kept it in a low gear. When the grade lessened, and I shifted to a higher gear, I felt it jump at least two gears. I was able to manipulate the shifter, and got it into the right gear, and thought nothing more. Maybe I just need to tune it up on my days off.

Nope. It was worse. When I got to the transit center & dismounted (Soundtransit rules dictate that one must walk one’s bike at the transit center), my rear wheel just about came off. Both of my bicycle tires are quick-release, and my rear quick release skewer went missing. It was only my weight on the rear axle that was keeping the wheel on. Needless to say, I didn’t ride the bike anymore that night (got a ride from my younger sister that night). Got the bike home, and after a quick email exchange with the manufacturer got me the size of the skewer, and I’ve ordered a new skewer. Though it won’t arrive until next Monday.

For those of you keeping score, I have a Vilano Duece 650b. And the customer service at Vilano Bikes rocks…

No comments: