Wednesday, May 26, 2021

And so it ends…

Meanwhile at Mrs. Fields, the store owner has decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere (not to be discussed here at this time. Maybe in a future post). At first he tried to sell the store, but there were no serious takers. I was seriously thinking about buying it myself (confession: back when I was working for him exclusively, my dream was to own my own store). But there were no takers. And so about a month ago, the decision was made to close. And today was the last day….

I have now officially lost my second job. Financially it won’t set me back at all (after all, I still have a full-time primary job). And I’ve already been offered a position at his next opportunity. But owing to the distances involved, I don’t know if I can accept it.

And so Mrs. Fields closed today. I have taken down the store’s Facebook page. Today ends over 26 years of working for Mrs. Fields in some form or another. It started in April of 1995 at The Original Cookie Company in the South Hill Mall. About a year later that company merged with Mrs. Fields. And then they bought a couple of other concepts. I’ve worked in the South Hill Mall, the Tacoma Mall, the Westlake Center, the SeaTac Mall (now the Commons At Federal Way), the Kitsap Mall, and precisely two hours at Southcenter. And with the possible exception of one PretzelMaker at the Kitsap Mall, they’ve all closed. Shopping malls are in a serious decline. For many years, they used to be my livelyhood. But the only constant in this is that it’ll change. And like it or not, you have to move on….

No comments: