Wednesday, September 08, 2021

A tinge of regret…

So, after I f*cked my computer a couple of weeks ago, I had to order a bunch of parts for it. Enough parts that it would seem like I was getting a new computer. So I also bought a new Windows 10 license (an OEM one, since I built this myself).

Fast forward to Monday night, when I realized that one of my hard drives was giving me errors, and as part of the repair process I formatted it. And since a third of my software was installed on it, I thought it easier to nuke the whole system from orbit. A couple of missteps and restarts later, I got it installed to the point that I could link my local account with my Microsoft account. And then I realized that I didn’t need to buy that OEM license, because it still activated with the original product key that I used when I first built my computer.

So, Microsoft realizes that this is still the same computer. And I didn’t need to buy the OEM license. Oh well. I can’t return it since I’ve already used it. I guess this counts as a ‘lesson learned.’ Don’t buy it unless you absolutely need it…

No comments: