Monday, November 07, 2022

Well this just sucks...

 So, after upgrading my tower to Windows 11 last week, I decided to upgrade the CPU cooler. Order an Arctic Freeze A35 A-RGB from Spamazon. Arrived on Wednesday (or my Monday according to my work schedule). Got home from work, and immediately broke my tower to install it. And I hurried. And I swore. But I  got it installed. I thought. I put the tower back together, and nothing happened when I turned it on. Took everything apart again, and this time, I saw lights, but it wouldn't boot up. Multiple tries, even reverting to my stock Wraith Prism cooler, didn't work. Eventually, I just gave up and went to bed. At work the next day, it occured to me that it might have been excessive thermal grease.So I ordered some thermal grease remover, which arrived Saturday. 

Fast forward to today. I get home form work, start my weekend, and take everything apart again. This time I used the grease remover to clear out the thermal grease from where it shouldn't be. And while cleaning it out, I took a look at the CPU (the Ryzen 7 3800X that I bought recently). And it wasn't good. Bent pin city. the CPU was dead. Fortunately I had my old Ryzen 7 2700X, which I put in. And then I tried powering on the tower. Nothing. I guess it looks like I'm replacing my motherboard and CPU. Again. Until then, I'm using my HP Pavilion 500-314 again. Once upon a time, I thought about giving it away. It's a good thing I didn't.

I've already priced the replacement components, and it's going to be a while before I can afford to them, so I gues I'm using this for the long haul. For now....

No comments: