Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Making the switch

OK, I’ve figured it out. With the release of Windows Phone 7, pretty much the users of WinMO 6.5 and lower are fucked. The HTC HD2 and the HD& are essentially the same phone with different stickers on the buttons. But it’s still too difficult to cook Windows Phone 7 for the HD2, and I’m not going to take the risk. And besides from what I’ve heard, The Anti-Christ has basically shot itself in the foot (the most popular app is in fact just a shortcut to the YouTube Mobile site).

All the WinMO users are basically left out in the dark. I’ve noticed today that some writers of apps for the older version of windows mobile are now abandoning there projects (et tu, SkyFire? Turning your back on the one market segment that  established your cred?).

So that leave one viable option: Android. The advantage with this is that I no longer have to deal with activesync, since Android syncs through your Google account. Though it means I now have to migrate my contacts and my schedule to Google. But I got it all done, and from now on, my phone will be Andriod first, Windows Mobile second.

For those of you who own an HD2, and want to try something new, go to XDA Developers. If you insist on using windows still, I’d go with an Energy ROM.

For those of you who feel screwed over by Skyfire, try Uzard. It’s from a Korean company, and it performs very well in video sites (it did stall in DailyMotion when I tried it). There’s also Opera Mobile and Opera Mini.

No comments: