Thursday, February 28, 2008

Happy Anniversary

7 years ago today was the Nisqually Earthquake.  At the time, I was working in the Westlake Center.  I was at work when the shaking started.  By the time it ended, I was already out of the building, and proceeded to return to work.

I first noticed the shaking when I heard a rhythmic crashing (which was the sound of the downtown Nordstrom crashing into an adjoining building).  Due to the monorail being right next to the building, I at first thought that the shaking was the monorail until I realized the entire 24 story office tower was shaking along with the mall.  During the day after the earthquake, a disaster was declared, and Metro therefore provided service for free the rest of the day (moot point since I had a pass at the time....).  The damage at my apartment was minimal, just a lam and a few models got knocked over).  My younger brother (who was my roommate at the time) was asleep at the time and his bed was right next to his CD shelf).  He woke up awash in a sea of CD's.

No comments: