Thursday, February 28, 2008

A little trip to the grocery store gone terribly wrong

So, I went to the supermarket today (shoulda gone to Wally World, but I didn't want to ride the bus on my day if it was possible).  So I went to this establishment called Saar's Marketplace.  The only thing it has going for it is it's in walking distance of my apartment (well, there's also the Safeway 16 blocks down Pacific Avenue, but that's too far to walk with a load of groceries....).  So I go into Saar's and the first thing I notice is the meat department.  They may have some great deals, but the first thing I noticed was the odor.  It does not bode well for any meat department/butcher shop if the first thing I smell is something rotting.  I don't know what it was, but that was an immediate turn-off (all the items on my list were non-perishable, so I didn't need to walk out right away).  After making my purchase, I headed home, and noticed the receipt.  Being a devout pastafarian, I do consume ramen on a regular basis (the fact that it's dirt cheap doesn't hurt either).  What does hurt is when I'm charged 5¢ more per package than what the shelf price is and I'm charged for 10 packages rather than the 6 that I bought.  This isn't the previous time that I got screwed at the check-out either.  About a month ago, I bought a loaf of bread and some other items there.  When I got home, I noticed that they had so conveniently decided that while I should pay for the bread, I really didn't need it, and they did not bag it.

I can excuse the smell of rot and decay in the meat department (well, not really, but that's the job of the health department, and a complaint to them will be forthcoming).  I will not excuse malice and incompetence (there is no difference between the two really) from the cashier.  And I will never shop at Saar's again.

No comments: