Monday, January 05, 2009

Going Old Skool. Again….

As I think I’ve said before, my (old) computer came with Windows ME installed on it.  I highly recommend it to clueless newbies.  Then again, it is kind of like learning to swim by jumping straight into the ocean….  Anyhow, after a year of dealing with the Blue Screen Of Death, and various and sundry other problems, I went to Windows XP (you’d think that The Anti-Christ would realize that not doing a Half-Assed Job would be a Good Thing).  For the most part.  I kept trying to dual-boot with ME and XP, or just going with either one of them (even if I was going with one OS, I’d still make sure that I had the hardware drivers and software compatible with the other OS as well).

Well fast forward to my new computer which just has Windows XP Professional.  Installing WinME is not an option.  Then I realized, that: 1. I have XP Pro and 2.  I have a really fast processor and plenty of ram.  I’ve never had any really good experiences with virtual OSes and emulators (mainly because my old computer was slower than the Postal Service).  And when I last tried Virtual PC 2007, it shut down saying I needed XP Professional (I had XP Home at the time).  So I downloaded Virtual PC 2007 and VirtualBox, pulled out my old windows discs, and set to work.  First off, I learned that even though I’m in a virtual environment, I still need to fdisk and format.  Installation was a long time (even longer than my old PIII).  Virtual PC was slightly faster than VirtualBox in installation, but VirtualBox is more configurable.  But, I can now still play around with my old games (mainly MechWarrior 2) that won’t even install in XP.  I could probably even install my favorite Linux Distro (OpenSuSE) if I wanted to, but that would be another blog entry…

No comments: