Thursday, January 06, 2011

The HTC HD2 is still relevant….

My first real smartphone was the T-Mobile Shadow. I bought it used from my boss. Then when it broke on me, I went to a BlackBerry. After 2 months, I realized I hated it and got another Shadow. A few months later, the Shadow started showing its age, and I decided to upgrade to a Rhodium (aka the HTC Touch Pro 2), which is what IgwanaRob had when he last posted about it. I tried the Energy ROM’s with it, and I was impressed. Then one day I walked into work, and my boss offered me terms on his HTC HD2 that I could afford (he’d been trying to sell it to me for a while, but I was sufficiently happy my phone that I wasn’t really biting on his previous offers). I was really impressed with the Energy ROMS, probably because Energy uses an HD2 as his phone, too. A while back, I switched my main phone OS to Android, but at the time, I still had to keep windows installed on my phone, as ‘Driod was installed to the memory card, and you had to boot into windows first, the load android. Not anymore. You can now install Android into your HD2’s main memory, and ditch windows altogether. So, I’m now windows-free. And I’m loving it. Though I do keep a recent Energy ROM on hand, just in case.

I, for one, shed no tears that The Anti-Christ has decreed that the HD2 will not get Windows Phone 7. Though our friends at XDA-Developers are working on that, too… Tough the last time I walked the local T-Mobile stores, they were having a BOGO special in the HD7 (which is an HD2 with a different sticker over some buttons, and windows phone 7…), something you normally don’t see unless the phone isn’t selling….

The HTC HD2 is still relevant. As an Android phone. Which it runs very well (even better than Windows Mobile). Probably because it’s the bastard cousin of the Nexus One, the EVO, and the HTC Desire (in fact, a lot of the Android ROMS/builds are based on the HTC Desire, so similar is their hardware….)

No comments: