Thursday, March 03, 2011

Here we go again....

Hello, I'm blogging from my phone again....

A few years back, I was dabbling with Linux, and I even managed to get most of it to work. With one exception: the printer. When I bought my printer, I want thinking of the possibility of using anything other than windows, so I just went for what the Gateway guy recommended: a Canon MultiPass C755. Which is a very good printer for windows. In fact, if you're still running XP or 9x, and you can still find one, snag it. You won't be disappointed. Having said that, there are no Linux drivers for it. I tried everything. So, at the most, the average life of my linux installs were one week. Except for Knoppix. Which I stopped using after 4.02 (something about no longer being able to connect to the internet). Fast forward a few years, I have a new computer, my old Canon went to The Beer Volcano and Stripper Factory, and my father gave me a new printer for my birthday, a Canon PIXMA MP250. And one of Facebook friends needed a Linux Dvd downloaded. So I grabbed the current version of SuSE (yes, I know it's called opensuse now, but I like old name better. My blog, my delusions...). And I figured, why not give it a try. Which I did last night. And everything installed as planned. And then I tried the printer. Canonusa.com are no help. It's either you use windows or you go elsewhere. But Cannon Australia, on the other hand, does offer Linux drivers. And they work. Unfortunately, my first attempt was on a virtual machine in windows, and my virtual machine software messed up my network cards (I ended up having to finally pull the wifi card out). I finally got everything fixed, but in the process, I 'repaired' my hard drive's master boot record, which meant I couldn't log into linux anymore. And I couldn't login to repair it, either. So tonight I'm reinstalling it again.

I hope I can keep this on for more than a week.

Edit:  I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel on this one. The graphics card just can't seem to work with a twin display. Which is too bad. I remember getting 1280 x 1024 on both monitors when I had a Radeon 9250, several generations behind this one. At best, on this one, I can get 1280 x 1024 on one, but only 1280 x 800 on the other...

Edit 2: I think I fixed the graphics issue. Nothing that a root login and a text editor couldn't fix....

No comments: