Saturday, March 05, 2011

Today's big Linux lesson is...

If you have a Realtek 8169 ethernet adapter onboard your motherboard (like I do), and you decide to install Linux, there's some good news for you. It'll work in Linux just fine. The bad news: when you boot back into windows, it won't work anymore. You'll just get rude messages about the cable being disconnected, even when it's connected. The good news is there's an easy fix: just power off the tower, and then unplug the power cord (actually my setup is such that I just turn off the power strip. It's safer, imo...), and unplug the network cable. Then count to 100. Plug everything back in, turn the system on, and it should work in windows again.  While it is an effective work around and I can attest to that, it is also a deal-breaker for me. So I've wiped the drive that ir was installed on and taken GRUB of the MBR. In windows, everything works, and it works well, from a hardware point of view. Maybe in the future, I'll give it another shot, but I like windows for now.

And the rude message I got from Gnome that my hard drive was on the verge of failure may have played a factor in my decision, too. Il I'll se what CHKDSK has to say for itself. That's why I like to have to two drives in my tower.

I suppose this means I can put my wifi card back in...

No comments: