Friday, March 25, 2011

It’s here.

Firefox 4 is out. I highly recommend it. It does seem faster than previous versions.  It is certainly better than Internet Explorer. I’ve been using the public beta for about the past month, and while I’ve been impressed with the overall performance, I was having a few issues with the extensions. I ended up getting rid of quite a few of them that didn’t work.  There are a couple of others that aren’t being updated fast enough, but i figured out how to make them work (hint: the .xpi file that the extension comes as is a .zip file. You can can simply unzip it, and there is a certain file that you can open in your favorite text editor and you can change the maximum Firefox version…) I don’t have the specifics now on how to do it. Maybe later, I’ll post it…

Firefox is available in a mobile version (for Android). I used to try it, but I found for Android, your best bet is Dolphin Browser HD. Not as many plug-ins as there are for Firefox, but it gets the job done (in fact, my boss thinks it’s even faster than his iPhone, which says something since my phone isn’t even supposed to run Android….). For those of you stuck with a Windows Mobile 6.x device, I’d have to go with Opera 10. Or better yet, get a new phone….

No comments: