Sunday, January 03, 2016

Once a year….

Ever since I’ve been in Washington, I’ve always noticed one thing. We always got snow at least once every winter. When I was growing up, I always hoped for the snow day from school, not realizing that we would have to make up the missing classwork, and have a snow make-up cut into summer vacation. My last school district actually engineered that into the school calendar. If we missed school due to snow, we came to school that day (it was usually scheduled in the spring). If we didn’t have any snow days, then that was an extended weekend… Now that I’m working for a living, if I see snow, I’ll enjoy the scene while it comes down. Then I’ll sear and curse at it as I have to go to work, and while it’s enough to make your commute a pain in the ass, it’s not enough to close the workplace…

But I digress. Like I said, we’ve always had at least one day of snow every winter since I’ve been in Washington. And today was the day. I didn’t have to worry about work or school (it was my regularly scheduled day off).

BTW, when it snows, it’s cloudy. If it’s cloudy it’s usually not down into the teens. So, I’d probably not be calling out due to snow, unlike yesterday…. In fact, since I take the bus, and I live along a state highway that’s usually the first to be plowed, sanded, salted, and de-iced, I can usually make it to work…

No comments: