Wednesday, September 13, 2017

An attempt at making my commute better….

So I finally broke down this past labor day. I ordered a bicycle. I knew that I couldn’t order just a bicycle (which was the main reason why I had held off for so long). In addition to a bicycle, I’d have to get a helmet (I’ve buried friends who went biking without helmets). And I’d have to get a lock or two (Parkland is still one of the shadiest areas around). Then I was thinking what would happen while I was riding it. So that meant a portable tire pump, patches and tools. And I would be riding in the dark. So that meant lights. I placed the order….

I was going to get a hybrid bike, since I was to be using this mainly for work, riding over roads. The model I hod originally ordered had fenders and a cargo rack. It arrived yesterday, and I started putting it together. The front brake needed to be adjusted, but it still worked. It was missing the bolt to install the front fender. Ok, I can go get another one. The real reflector was smashed (shipping casualty). I was going to replace it with a light. But the deal breaker was the bicycle chain. Somehow it had lodged between the chain ring and the frame, and no amount of pulling or swearing could budge it. The only way to fix it was to take the crank arm off, and I don’t have those tools. And it’s kind of a deal breaker to have to take it to a bicycle mechanic straight from the box. BTW, I stupidly decided to throw the box out right away, so I can return it. So I decided to order a different one (a slightly better model). The no-go bike will be recycled, but I will be keeping the seat…..

No comments: