Wednesday, October 04, 2017

A couple of tricks here and there…

My very first tower (the Gateway PIII 866mHz running Windows ME) came with Microsoft Works Suite 2001. The computer eventually went to The Beer Volcano & Stripper Factory, but I held on to the Works Suite. And also right after I upgraded to Windows XP, I also got Encarta Reference Library 2002, Picture It! Platinum 2002, Money 2002, and Streets and Trips 2002. And I held on to the CD’s when the computer failed.

So, last week, I wiped my tower. I was trying to go with Windows 8.1, but Microsoft screwed it to the point that I couldn’t even sign into my Microsoft account. So yesterday, I went with Windows 10. And I realized that while even Microsoft says that these programs aren’t compatible with Window's 10, I had never tried it myself. So I started plugging the CD’s in. I got the programs installed, and with judicial application with compatibility mode, I got them to work. I’m not going to use them, since they’ve been obsolete for over 10 years, but I can get them to work….

No comments: