Friday, March 01, 2019

So what all happened on my weekend this week…

Basically, I got sick. My ‘Friday’ (what you would call Monday night/Tuesday morning) started alright. Then lunchtime came. I got a cheesesteak calzone from the deli, paid for it, and went to the breakroom and ate it. Then it came time to go back to work, so I resumed scrubbing the floors. A couple of hours later, I started feeling slightly upset in my stomach, but it wasn’t enough to even force me to go to the restroom. I had too much to do, so I ended up taking another lunch to finish my assigned tasks, and while doing that I didn’t eat anything (this was at 8 in the morning, and my previous dose of insulin was at 3:30am). I finished my tasks, and went to clock out, and I realized that my blood sugar was low. I don’t know how I missed the signs of it earlier (usually the symptoms come down gradually enough that I can address it before it gets too far along). Maybe the queasy stomach masked it. Anyway by the time I got to personnel to clock out, I was out of it. I was offered a ride home, so I took it.

I don’t remember much after that, just standing at the street corner, waiting for a bus that wasn’t going to come because I wasn’t at the stop. Eventually I wound my way home, and as my insulin dose wore off, my blood sugar went back up, and I came around. From a little bit past 9 am to 12:30 pm Tuesday, I have virtually no memory of what transpired.

So, I’m now home, and I’ve decided that my weekend has officially begun. Realizing that hypoglycemia was still an issue, I fixed a cup of cocoa, and sucked on a couple of mints. Remember that queasy feeling I was telling you about earlier in this post? This is when the calzone decided to come back up. And then 4 hours later, it came back up again. And it came out of the other end, too. So, it came time to take another insulin shot, and low and behold, I was so loopy when I left work that I had left my coat and backpack behind. Of course, by the time I realized this all the pharmacies had closed so I couldn’t just go out and by another vial. That had to wait until morning. So the following morning came, and by now I was puking because my blood sugar had gone up too high. I could take a sip of water, and be over the rail 20 minutes later. I eventually got to Wally World, bought my insulin, dosed said insulin, and 4 hours later I could keep stuff down again.

When I got back to work Thursday night, my coat and backpack were exactly were I left them….

No comments: