Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Vacation Day 3: Report

Watched day 3 of the Pakistan/Australia test. Just for the record, I did not know the Test match was scheduled when I booked the vacation. It was just a coincidence. But this was one of my many ‘bucket list’ items: to watch a Test cricket match from start to finish…

I would’ve written this post this morning, but a nap attack and some computer problems led to me retiring early.

As for my computer problems, it just became slow. Nothing would respond. First instinct was to reboot it. But I just had a nap attack, so I was going to bed. So I just turned it off (through windows). And it hung on the shutdown screen. And hung. And hung. So I used the reset button on my tower, which normally overrrides whatever the OS is doing and reboots the motherboard/system. And then I got the ‘no OS’ error from the motherboard. Pulled out my Windows 10 thumbdrive, and attempted a startup repair. No dice. Rebooted into BIOS to boot directly into my SSD (where windows was installed), and my drive wasn’t even there. And then, on a hunch, I turned it off completely. Counted to 3 then turned it back on. And it worked. Installed the latest update from Windows Update, turned it off and went back to bed. Moral of the story: the ‘reset’ button on my tower has it’s uses, but I’m better using the power switch if I need to hard shutdown my system….

My agenda for day 4 of my vacation: Day 4 of the test match.

No comments: