Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Finally After 4 Years….

<A History>

I use online game stores. A lot. It started with the Microsoft Store when I first started using Windows 8.1/Windows 10. Then came Steam (I actually initially set up Steam back when I was using Windows XP, though I never purchased anything through it). Then through the grapevines I heard that EA games had Origin (now the EA App), which had a recurring on the house game special. So I started with the free games. Then I was looking for SimCity 3000 (after realizing the CD-Rom version would no longer work), and I came across GOG. This is where I get a lot of my older games. Good thing about GOG is that when you buy the game, an offline installer is usually available, so you really don’t need to install GOG Galaxy to install the game, though I use it. Somewhere along the line, I had to install Ubisoft Connect because of my Steam Games required it, and they have a store, too. Somewhere along the line, I learned that Spamazon offered free games through Twitch if you have Amazon Prime. And they do. Though the Twitch app has long gone away, there’s still the Amazon Games App. They offer about 5-9 games a month, at least, and they’re still yours even if you leave Amazon Prime.

</A History>

When I built my computer in 2019, the video card I installed had a promo for free copy of World War Z. Available on Epic Games Store. They normally offer a free game every week. And now, I have filled up half of an 8 TB drive with them. But tonight is when I finally bought something from them (some DLC for Sim Meier’s Civilization VI).

And after all this there are still games that I have that I can’t install for various reasons. That is also why I still have my Windows ME and Windows XP virtual machines….

No comments: