Wednesday, September 14, 2011

You can’t catch me! I have Gingerbread!

After running Froyo for almost a year, I finally saw that the development on the Gingerbread ROMS  for the HD2 has made some progress. Enough that I thought it could be worth the trouble of giving a try…

Not that I had anything against the Froyo ROMS. The rafdroid ROM is as stable as anything else available, and the Cmylxgo isn’t that bad that well. But there were some bugs:

  • The Rafdroid roms like to reboot. A lot. And the current one has issues with bluetooth.
  • And the Cmylxgo like to freeze. A lot. And it likes to reboot somewhat, too.

And it doesn’t help the Cmylxgo stopped developing for the HD2, and went to the HTC Sensation (and btw, Igwanarob, NRGZ28 went to the Sensation as well). Rafpigna, the developer of Rafdroid, has also said that the current version would be the last version, most likely.

So, I went looking for a Gingerbread ROM in the XDA Developers forum. There were a few ROMs out there to try. I downloaded a couple. The first one I tried was the CoreDroid. It was more a customised port of the Sensation software for the HD2. It was slow, it crashed, and there were graphical glitches. Needless to say, I went with another one. I went with this one. So far, I’m impressed. I don’t see any of the bugs/annoyances with this ROM that I saw with Froyo. But time will tell if this turns out. If not, I have my local archive of the Rafdroid, and I’ll just live with it’s quirks….

Edit: the day after I wrote this, NRGZ28 published a new energy ROM based on the HTC Sensation. I tried it, and I was impressed with the appearance. However, I've decided to go with something that's proven to work: Froyo. So i'm running Rafdroid again. Though I've rolled back the kernel so my Bluetooth sets will work with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

No comments: