Saturday, October 29, 2011

Patience, Roger, Patience

Ok, since I have Apps2sd on my phone, when I uprgraded my memory card, I had to reinstall everything on my phone (my apps are installed onto a hidden partition on my memory card). My first attempt at this was a dud, since I set the second partition at 4 Gb (I have a 32 Gb card now, so space isn’t an issue). When xda-developers says to use 2 Gb at the most for your ext3 partition, there is usually a good reason for it. So after repartitioning, reformatting, and re-copying everything to my card again, I had to re-flash my ROM again. I thought seriously about giving Gingerbread anither try, but I decided to go with my highly modified CMYLXGO ROM. Yes it’s Froyo, but it’s stable, and it does the job. At this point, I don’t think there’ll ever be a reasonably stable Gingerbread ROM for the HD2.

Anyway, long story short:

  • When you first flash a ROM, set the phone down and walk away. It’ll take a while for it to actually be ready. The same goes when you initially put your acounts in. Especially since my phone doesn’t have that much RAM compared to other Desire HD based phones.
  • If you can, try to use wi-fi to download your apps. For some reason, my 3g service has been rather spotty. And when my internet cuts out, it usually means my phone freezes, and only a reboot will fix things. Probably I should have a chat with T-Mobile. Fortunately, one of the local employees also uses and Android Powered HD2, so I might be able to get somewhere with it…
  • Root Explorer is definitely worth the $3.99 I paid for it (through the Spamazon app store).

Today’s lesson is patience. If you don’t let your ROM settle after you install it, you’re going to have issues…

No comments: