Wednesday, October 05, 2011

So long, Steve Jobs

Steve jobs had passed away. I’m not going to bother with linking to any story on this blog entry (if you want the whole truth, just google it…). Some of things companies brought us under his leadership:

  • The iPhone: about four years ago, my boss’s wife got him a T-Mobile Shadow for Christmas. He was impressed with it, almost happy. Then he discovered you could jailbreak an iPhone and it’ll work on the T-Mobile network. And that shadow was my very first smartphone when he sold it to me. A few years later, his wife got him an HD2. I’m still using it… The iPhone brought us the app store (before the android market and the spamazon app store).
  • The iPod. Essentially the original iPod was an mp3 player with a hard drive. It’s gone through many evolutions, but you can still get an mp3 player with a hard drive.
  • OS X. I’ve never had a mac, so I can offer no opinion on this.
  • The iPad. The very first tablet to have anything resembling success, though IMHO some of the current Android powered offerings are better…..
  • Itunes. It revolutionized the way we buy music. When it first came out, I was semi-impressed with it (I’m a windows user). For the first time, you could legally purchase music and download it (instead of pirating it or ripping your cds). Not only that, but you could also buy induvidual tracks (later came the option to buy entire albums). I didn’t like it because it didn’t support .wma playback, and to convert .wma files to something itunes compatible took forever and a day. I just stuck with musicmatch jukebox and/or windows media player (when windows media player 10 came out, it finally came with the ability to natively rip .mp3 files, so I’ve used wmp exclusively since then).

I know this isn’t a complete list of his achievements, and there were some things he did that even I regret, you can’t deny his influences. Remember this even when you turn your pc on (remember the original MacIntosh had the very gui for a computer)…

No comments: