Thursday, September 06, 2018

New computer arrived today….

Last week as you my know, I f*cked up my computer and had to order a replacement. Ordered it off of eBay. I got a HP Pavilion 500-314. It was replacing a HP Pavilion 500-214. I deliberately ordered this specific model so I could part out my old computer, and put all the upgrades (especially the 4 tb hard drive, and the 24 gb of RAM) into the computer. So there were some concerns with my computer (it was used and ‘refurbished’ so I knew that I wasn’t getting something fresh from the factory):

  • The RAM: the eBay listing said it had 8 gb of RAM. When I got my HP Pavilion 500-214 (factory refurbished by HP), it had 8 gb, but it was all on 1 DIMM. This one had 4 2 gb DIMMs.
  • The hard drive. This specific model of computer was first produced in 2014, and it came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive was made in 2010. Again, it appears as though it was parted out and replaced with an older part.
  • The operating system. It was listed on eBay as having Windows 10 Pro, but the included hard drive was not bootable. I think what happened is that the seller just copied another Windows 10 harddrive and put it in the computer. Fortunately, I was able to simply install my old hard drive (lock, stock, and barrel) into my system. It took about 20 minutes to reinstall some drivers, and I was back up and running. Although this means that I will be buying Windows 10 Pro for it when I decide to run it. The new computer is sufficiently similar to my old computer that I can get away with moving items over, but I don’t think that’ll work with my Windows 10 license…

Yes, my computer has issues, but they were items that can address. Technically it wasn’t bootable when I got it, but I still left positive feedback for the transaction, because it was a computer that works….

No comments: