Thursday, June 30, 2011

From 3 to 5

As I was moving in to my laptop, I went to download Thunderbird, and was surprised that Thunderbird 5 is already out. Wasn’t it only 3.1 last week. On my OpenSUSE install, 3.1 comes with the distro… Oh, well, the next I log into the tower, I’ll have something else to upgrade.

Last night, I thought about taking XP completely off the tower, but have come to the conclusion that it’s not worth the trouble. My BIOS enables to pick which hard drive to boot off of when I turn the computer on (like having 2+ computers in one tower). And since I have 2 drives in the tower (and I’ve spent the past two nights copying all my key files onto my laptop), I could probably afford to keep windows on it….

BTW, Firefox 5 came out about a week ago. Little is said about it, but keeping your primary browser current is also essential for keeping your computer/network secure.

I’m now running anti-virus on all my computers. With the laptop, it was a no-brainer. If I’m going to take it out of the house, and log on to other wireless networks which I’m not sure are properly firewalled, then should use some sort of anti—virus (usually, I’d just go with a AFDB, but that’s an entirely different entry). On my tower, the only other computer in the apartment is a iMac (and Mac OS X and Windows XP software isn’t exactly compatible with each other). And since I know the router has a firewall in it, I never really paid much attention to AV. For those of you who are wondering, I’m now using Microsoft Security Essentials (who knew that I’d go for a security solution offered by The Anti-Christ?). I used to say go with AVG, but of late they’re appearing to become almost spyware-ish, and I find that annoying….

Anyway, I should be off to bed. Goodnight, Gentles….

No comments: